Orange peel, Kumquats, Freshly grated coconut, mustard seeds, methi seeds, curry leaves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, chana dal, urad dal, red chilies, peanuts, turmeric powder, rice.
1. Cook a cup of rice and keep aside and allow to cool. (note: Don’t add too much water, it should be the consistency of pulao).
2. Peel off the skin of 1 orange and chop into fine cubes.
3. Chop kumquats (along with the skin) (approximately 1 cup).
4. Roast and grind: 1 teaspoon of methi + 2 tablespoons each of coriander seeds & chana dal + 1 teaspoon each of cumin seeds and black peppercorns + 4 red chilies.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds + 1 tablespoon each of chana dal and urad dal + 2 red chilies (broken) + a fistful of peanuts and roast till golden brown.
6. Add the kumquats and the orange peel.
7. Add salt & turmeric powder and saute briefly.
8. Once the juices start coming out of the kumquat, add the ground spice powder, 2 tablespoons of freshly grated coconut and curry leaves.
9. Turn off the heat and mix in the cooked rice well.
10. Garnish with fresh orange peel and serve warm with raita!