So, some of you may have seen my post on the humble mor koozhu, a typical Tamilian savory rice cake. For a party, I decided to transform this slightly and marry it with some Italian flavors. So, here it is, wrapped in marinated carrots and cucumber ribbons!
Here is how to do it.
Follow the recipe for Mor Koozhu.
To dress it up, here is what to do:
Carrots, Cucumber, Olive oil, Rosemary, Honey, Salt, Freshly ground black pepper.
- In large bowl, add 4 tbsp of olive oil. Add 1.5 tsp of fresh/dried rosemary + 1/2 tsp of honey + 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper + Salt to taste. Whisk everything to ensure that all ingredients are mixed well.
- Wash and peel the skin off a smallish carrot and cut off both ends.
- Wash a smallish cucumber and cut off both ends. Do not peel the skin, it adds to the visual appeal.
- Hold the carrot in one hand and using a horizontal peeler, swiftly peel off ribbons of the carrot. Drop them into the oil mix to marinate.
- Repeat the process for cucumber.
- Allow the carrots and cucumber ribbons to marinate in the oil for half hour in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, wrap each of the savory rice cake (mor koozhu) in a strip each of cucumber and carrot and place them seam side down on a platter.