Dried Dates, Store-bought Custard Powder, 2% Milk, Sugar, Agar-Agar, Pure vanilla essence, Fresh Blueberries, Fresh lemon juice.
- Soak ½ cup of dates in warm water overnight and grind it to a fine paste. Sieve through a fine sieve and keep it refrigerated.
- Grate/Finely chop ½ a cup of dates and keep aside.
- Take ½ a cup of blue berries in a bowl and add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Leave aside for an hour and blend the berries along with the juice to a puree. Pass it through a fine sieve and keep aside.
- Heat up a few tablespoons of water and add a few strips of Agar-Agar to it and keep stirring continuously till the Agar-Agar has completely dissolved.
- In a big bowl, add 4 heaped tablespoons of store-bought custard powder (I used Brown & Polson plain custard powder for this recipe which I bought from the Indian store). Whisk it well and make sure that there are no lumps.
- Warm 2 cups of milk. Ensure that it is not boiling but just heated through. Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- To the warm milk, add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla essence, the date paste and the blueberries puree and quickly mix well. Quickly add the custard powder-milk mixture and whisk briskly to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Turn off the heat and add the Agar-Agar to the milk mixture and mix well. The mixture will start to thicken, so you will need to work quickly.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and even out the top.
- Decorate with fresh blueberries and grated dates on top and refrigerate till it sets and serve cold!