So, I have gotten on to the millet bandwagon! Been trying all kinds of millets in the past couple of years and trying to make variations of traditional recipes. It’s been a great ride so far and I have had very little complaint in terms of the flavor or taste! I was, therefore, very happy to see Raagi (finger millet) vermicelli in the store! I have made this a few times and this is always a comforting dish to have at any point in the day, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Fresh corn, Ready made Raagi Vermicelli (Anil brand), Sesame Oil, Mustard seeds, Urad dal, Chana dal, Dried red chilies, White sesame seeds, Black peppercorns, Cumin seeds, Sugar, Fresh lemon juice, Curry leaves.
- Dry roast 2 tbsp of white sesame seeds + 1 tsp of cumin seeds + 2 tsp of black peppercorns + 2 dried red chilies till they get crisp. Cool and blend with 1 tsp of sugar to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Get the corn off the cob (2 cups) and spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes till the kernels are slightly charred.
- Cook the Raagi vermicelli as per instructions on the packet. Make sure that you drain the vermicelli and separate them out to avoid clumping.
- Heat 3 tbsp of sesame oil in a wok.
- Add 2 tbsps of mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add 2 tbsp each of urad dal and chana dal, saute till they get light brown.
- Add 3 dried red chilies broken into halves + 3-4 curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked vermicelli into the work and gently toss them to mix everything together.
- Add salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat.
- Keep tossing the vermicelli gently, squeeze 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice, add the grilled corn and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh curry leaves and serve warm!