Here is a way to get away from Rajma and Paneer in the usual predictable ways! Make an easy pulao! With a little unusual twist 🙂 of course!
Rajma (red kidney beans), Paneer, Basmati rice, Cumin Seeds, Bay leaves, Cinnamon sticks, Cloves, Yogurt, cooked chestnuts.
- Soak 1/4 cup of Rajma overnight in 3 cups of water.
- Cook the rajma on stove top or in a pressure cooker till they are cooked through and firm but not mushy. Drain off all the water.
- Cut paneer into cubes (3/4 cup) and fry them golden brown till they are crisp and set aside.
- Wash 2 cups of basmati rice and drain off all the water.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of yogurt, add 2 tbsp of water, mix well, and and set aside.
- Slice cooked chestnuts (1/2 cup) into thin circles.
- Take a broad bottom pan with a lid and heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add 3 bay leaves, 4 cloves, and 2 half inch pieces of cinnamon.
- Add half the chestnuts.
- Saute for a minute and add the drained rice to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the drained rajma and paneer and mix everything well.
- Add salt to taste and 4 cups of water.
- Line the lid of the pan with aluminum foil and tightly cover the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and allow the rice to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, uncover and pour the whisked yogurt all around the rice.
- Replace the lid and allow the rice to cook through till the aroma permeates your kitchen!
- Garnish with the remaining chestnuts.
- Serve hot with a raita and/or a vegetable curry!