Another easy but elegant appetizer when you have little time and oh so much to do! Make this ridiculously easy appetizer that will wow your guests and fill them up till you are ready to serve dinner! 🙂
Maggi Noodle Upma!
Oats Maggi Noodles (or any other instant noodles), Semolina (coarse rava), Frozen/fresh corn, Mustard seeds, Chana dal, Urad dal, Curry leaves.
- Heat up 1 tsp of oil in a wok.
- Add 1/2 cup of fresh/thawed frozen corn. Spread the corn in one layer around the sides of the wok and leave it be for about 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Using a flat spatula, gently, take the corn out of the wok, place in a bowl and set aside.
- To the hot wok, add 1/2 cup of coarse semolina (rava) and roast till lightly brown, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the wok and add 2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Add 1 tbsp of Urad dal and 1 tsp of chana dal, saute till they turn lightly brown.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Add 2 packets of seasoning that comes with the Maggi Noodles.
- Crumble 2 packs of Maggi Noodles and add to the boiling water.
- Add the roasted rava.
- Mix everything together and cover the wok and allow everything to cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- The upma should be fully cooked. If you feel it has gotten dry, add a little bit of hot water, mix well, and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of the corn to the upma.
- Chop 3-4 curry leaves (or cilantro if that’s what you have on hand) into fine bits and add to the upma.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ghee or a tiny slab of butter. Mix everything well.
- All the upma to cool completely.
- Make mini balls/laddoos out of the upma.
PREPARATION FOR SERVING: You will need cucumbers, thick yogurt/sour cream and any variety of smooth Indian pickle.
- Wash and trim the ends of one long cucumber. (I used the long English cucumber, but you can use any that you find/have on hand).
- With a peeler, take of the skin of the cucumber in intervals, leaving some of it on. This makes for a better presentation.
- Cut the cucumber into half. With the help of a spoon or an apple corer, remove the core of the cucumber so that all the seeds are taken out.
- Now, cut the cucumber into 1/2″ slices.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tbsp of sour cream or very thick yogurt. Add 1 tsp of spicy pickle and mix well.
- Arrange the cucumber slices on a serving platter.
- Place the upma balls on the cucumber.
- With a small spoon, add a small dollop of the dip on the upma ball.
- Garnish with corn and a little bit of finely chopped cilantro.