DAHI VADAS ….a sure fire way to beat the heat!
Urad dal, Methi/Fenugreek seeds, Dried red chilies, Hing/Asafoetida, Curry leaves, Buttermilk, Greek yogurt/regular yogurt, Tamarind-Date chutney, Dried mint, Red chili powder, Oil for frying.
- Soak 1/2 cup of urad dal and 1/4 tsp of methi seeds in 4 cups of water for 4 hours.
- Drain off the water and add the dal to the blender/wet grinder.
- Add 1 tsp of hing and 2 dried red chilies.
- Grind everything to a fine paste with little water till the batter is fluffy.
- Add 2 tbsp of finely chopped curry leaves to the batter and salt to taste.
- In a big bowl, add 5 cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- With an ice cream scoop, drop the batter into the hot oil and fry till they are golden brown.
- Drain the vadas from the oil and carefully drop them one by one into the water-buttermilk mix. Dunk them in well and leave them in there for about 3-4 minutes.*
- Take out the vadas from the water and gently squeeze out the water carefully.
- Place the vadas on a big flat serving platter.
- In a big bowl, add 2 cups of yogurt+ 1 cup of Greek yogurt (if you like the tangy taste)+1/2 cup of buttermilk + 1/4 cup of water + salt to taste. Mix everything well till it is thick dropping consistency.**
- With a spoon, slowly pour the yogurt mix on the vadas and ensure that they are all covered. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, drizzle tamarind-date chutney on the vadas and sprinkle red chili powder and dried mint on top of the vadas.
- Serve cold.
- Notes to the chef:
* This process is to take out the excess oil and to enhance the capacity of the vadas to absorb the yogurt. Ensure that the vadas go straight out of the oil into the water-buttermilk mix. If left out for long, the vadas will not absorb the yogurt as well.
** If you feel it is too thick, add a little more water, but take care to not make it runny.