TANGY BREAD UPMA: A quick satisfying treat using left over bread!
Bread, Cilantro, Onions, Urad Dal, Chana Dal, Green Chilies, Turmeric powder, Asafoetida.
1. Cube any type of leftover bread (2 cups).
2. In ¼ cup of warm water, squeeze the juice of 2 small or 1 big lime, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, salt to taste and mix well. Grate the zest of 1 lemon to the water as well and set aside.
3. Sprinkle the turmeric-salt-lime water on the bread pieces. The goal should be to moisten the bread pieces but not to make them soggy. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
4. Finely dice 2 red onions and 4 green chilies.
5. Finely chop 1 cup of cilantro.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
7. When they begin to splutter, add 3 tablespoons each of urad dal and chana dal and saute till they acquire a light brown color.
8. Add the onions and green chilies and saute till the onions get a little soft.
9. Add ¼ spoon of turmeric powder, asafoetida and the chopped cilantro. Mix well and ensure that the cilantro is lightly wilted but not burnt.
10. Reduce the heat and add the bread pieces.
11. Using a flat spatula, gently mix the bread with the spices and onions.
12. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot.