Rice, Tur Dal, mustard seeds, Chana Dal, Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Dry red chilies, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, kopra (dry coconut), fennel seeds, Methi (fenugreek seeds), Ghee, Sesame oil, medley of vegetables (bell peppers, onions, pumpkins, potatoes, chayote squash), tamarind paste, hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder, MTR Bissibele paste and MTR Bissibele Masala.
1. In a wok, add 1 tbsp of oil and lightly fry: 1 tbsp of chana dal+2.5 tbsp of coriander seeds+4 dry red chilies+1 tsp of cumin seeds+1tsp of methi seeds +1tsp of black peppercorns+2 cinnamon sticks+1tbsp of fennel seeds+3 tbsp of kopra. Once the dals attain a golden hue, turn off the heat, cool and blend with water to a fine paste. Keep aside.
2. Pressure cook: 1 cup of rice + ¾ cup of tur dal with 5 cups of water with a little bit of salt. Mash the mixture and keep aside.
3. In a big heavy bottomed pan, add 2 tbsp of canola oil+2 tsp of sesame oil.
4. Add 2 tbsp of mustard seeds, 1 tsp of methi seeds, and 2 dry red chilies (broken into two pieces each), saute lightly.
5. Add a medley of vegetables cut roughly into 1″ pieces, saute lightly and add water.
6. Once the water starts boiling, stir in 2 tsp of tamarind paste, ½ tsp of turmeric powder, a pinch of hing and a little salt.
7. When the vegetables are half cooked, stir in 1 tbsp of the MTR Bissibele paste, 1 tbsp of MTR Bissibele spice mix, and the ground masala. Add half a cup of water and allow everything to blend and the vegetables to cook till they are tender but not mushy.
8. After the vegetables are done, add the rice+dal mixture to the pot on very low heat, a few curry leaves and gently with a flat spatula, start folding the rice into the tamarind/spice mixture.
9. When almost done, add 4 heaped tbsp of ghee (yes I know!!!) and mix everything well before turning off the heat.
10. Serve piping hot with a garnish of lightly fried onion strips, masala boondi and some fresh coriander leaves.