(SWEET & SOUR EGGPLANT IN YOGURT SAUCE).
Orange-Cranberry Relish, Eggplant, Kalonji (Nigella)seeds, Garam Masala, Fennel powder, Yogurt.
1. Cut the eggplant into long 1″ thick pieces.
2. In a flat heavy bottomed pan, heat oil.
3. Add kalonji seeds and fry for a minute, then add the eggplant.
4. Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, cumin-coriander powder, and fennel powder. Mix well, cover and allow the eggplant to cook.
5. When it is halfway done, mix 2 tablespoons of Orange-Cranberry relish (See Chutneys & Pickles for the recipe) with 1 cup of yogurt and whisk well.
6. Add to the eggplant and allow to cook without the lid for another 5-6 minutes.
7. Add a dollop of whisked fresh yogurt before serving and a few spoons of the relish.
In a small pan, add a little bit of oil. When the oil heats up, add a pinch each of mustard seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, and asafoetida. Fry for a minute and add a few peanuts and mix well. Then add a handful of poha (puffed rice) and keep mixing on a medium fire till all the ingredients are mixed and the poha gets crisp. Add salt to taste and curry leaves.
Add some of this to the vegetable for an added crunch and extra flavor.