Coconut-jaggery stuffed sweet rotis full of gooey goodness!!
Coconut, jaggery, cardamom powder, wheat flour, oil.
1. In a deep bowl, add one cup of wheat flour. Add water and mix it well to make a sort of loose dough. (slightly looser than pizza dough). It will get sticky, so add a little oil and mix well. Add 2-3 tablespoons of more oil over the top of the dough and let it rest. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
2. Take ¾ cup of mashed up jaggery and 5 tablespoons of water and heat up on medium heat. Keep stirring slowly till it is all melted and allow to thicken but do not allow caramelization.
3. Add 1 tsp of cardamom powder to the molten jaggery and mix well.
4. When the jaggery gets considerably thick (jam consistency), add 1 cup of grated coconut. Reduce the heat and keep stirring and mixing well till the coconut is completed one with the jaggery and the whole mixture starts to leave the edges of the pan. Add ½ tsp of ghee to the ‘puran’ and take it off the heat and allow to completely cool.
5. Take a sheet of thick plastic or banana leaf (if available!) and lay it flat on the counter.
6. Pull out a small amount of the dough and with your fingers, start spreading it out into a small circle. Add a small dollop of the coconut-jaggery mixture in the middle of the circle. From the edges of the circle, start pulling the dough to cover the sweet mixture in such a way that it is covered entirely. You should be able to lift it up and roll it in your palm.
7. Place it back on the plastic/banana leaf, and start spreading it out with your fingers to form a circular roti. (you will need to dip your fingers in the oil that you had topped the dough with earlier).
8. Heat up a griddle, add a few drops of ghee on it. Reduce the heat to low. Lift up the plastic/banana leaf and quickly place the poli on the griddle and peel off the plastic/banana leaf. This should be done quickly to prevent the plastic from sticking to the griddle.
9. Let the poli cook for a couple of minutes, then flip it, add a few more drops of ghee and cook on the other side.
10. Lift the poli off the griddle gently and place on a serving platter. Serve hot with extra ghee!!