STEAMED DUMPLINGS FROM GUJARAT…WITH A QUINOA TWIST!
Original recipe courtesy: Sharvari and Maithil Lakhia, subsequently tweaked :-).
Quinoa, Bajra flour (Pearl millet), Ragi flour (Finger millet), Chickpea flour, Semolina, Ginger paste, Green Chili paste, Garam Masala, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, English Cucumber, Cilantro, Mustard seeds, White sesame seeds.
1. In a glass bowl, add ½ cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. Cook for 20 minutes in the microwave. Fluff up with a fork and allow it to cool.
2. Take a large flat platter. Grate ½ of the long seedless English cucumber. Do not squeeze out the juice.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of the cooked quinoa.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of bajra flour, 2 tablespoons of ragi flour, 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour, and 3 tablespoons of semolina (thick rava).
5. Add 2 tablespoon of freshly ground ginger and chili paste.
6. Add 1 tablespoon each of coriander powder, cumin powder, and ½ tablespoon of garam masala powder and salt to taste.
7. Add half cup of finely chopped cilantro.
8. Now mix all the ingredients together to combine well to make a dough. Do not add any water. The dough is bound to be a little sticky. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the dough and bring it all together.
9. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Take each of the portions in the palms of your hands and shape them into thick cylinders.
10. Place them an inch apart in a steam inset and steam them till they are cooked through and (the color changes and they will be firm to touch).
11. Take them out and allow to cool. Subsequently slice them into 1″ discs.
12. Heat a little oil in a skillet and brown the muthias on both sides. Take them out and place them on a platter.
13. Heat a little oil, add mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add a generous amount of sesame seeds. Turn off the heat and allow them to brown lightly.
14. Add the muthias back into the skillet and ensure that the mustard/sesame seeds coat each of the muthias.
15. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve warm with any chutney of your choice!