Original Recipe Courtesy: Naresh Khattar
Canned lotus root, White raddish with its greens intact (mooli), Spring Onions, Potatoes, Green peas.
1. Drain a can of lotus root and wash thoroughly to get rid of the salt. Slice them into ¼ inch thick rounds.
2. Add the lotus root to a big pot of boiling hot water for a couple of minutes, drain and place them on a paper towel to remove excess water.
3. Peel and cut 2 medium size potatoes.
4. Peel and cut one big mooli and finely chop the greens.
5. Finely chop both the white and green part of spring onions and keep them separate.
6. Heat oil in a pan.
7. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of red chili powder, a pinch of asafoetida and ½ teaspoon of garam masala.
8. Add the white part of the spring onions and saute lightly, then add the mooli green and the green leafy part of the spring onions. After the greens begin to wilt a little, add the potatoes, mooli and the lotus root.
9. Add salt to taste, ½ cup of water, cover and allow it to cook till the vegetables are cooked but firm, not mushy.
10. Uncover the pan, reduce the heat and allow the vegetables to cook and the water to evaporate.
11. Add 1 cup of thawed frozen peas.
12. Mix well and serve hot with naans/phulkas!