FUSION ONION PAKORAS – SNOW DAY SPECIAL!
Fresh Goat cheese, Pine Nuts, Red Onions, Chick pea flour (Besan), Rice flour.
1. In a small bowl, crumble the fresh goat cheese and sprinkle 1 heaped tablespoon of besan. Mix with a fork to coat all the cheese pieces with besan till they resemble crumbs.
2. Toast ¾ cup of pine nuts in a skillet till they are slightly browned. Take off the fire to avoid burning and cool in a bowl.
3. Finely dice 2 medium-sized red onions. (and green chilies if you need it extra spicy!)
4. Finely chop 1 cup of cilantro leaves.
5. In a big bowl, sift 1.5 cups of besan, salt, red chili powder, pinch of turmeric powder, asafoetida,
6. Add the onions, cilantro, and pine nuts and mix well.
7. Now add water very slowly (and this is key) to mix all the ingredients. It will be a little sticky and that is normal.
8. Finally add the goat cheese to the mixture and fold in gently with a spatula so that it is spread out throughout the dough.
9. Heat up canola oil in a large flat pan.
10. Use your fingers to drop small portions of the mixture into the hot oil and deep fry till the pakoras are golden.
11. Take them out on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
12. Serve hot with ketchup or any chutney of your choice. (shown here with spicy tomato chutney).