Original Recipe Courtesy: Soma Majumdar Sinha.
It is simply mind boggling the ways in which Indian cooks transform simple lentils into the most comforting of curries and also elevate it to a gourmet dish! Here is Chholar Dal from West Bengal, one of the simplest and tastiest of dals that you’ll ever eat! Give it a try! Again, thanks to my talented friend Soma’s recipe, this has become a common dish on my dining table.
Chana dal (split Bengal gram), Turmeric powder, Ghee, Dried red chilies, Bay leaf, Cloves, Cinnamon, Green cardamom, Asafoetida (Hing), Golden raisins, Fresh coconut pieces/freshly grated coconut.
- Add 1 cup of chana dal into your pressure cooker/InstantPot.
- Add 1 2 tsp of turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook the chana dal till it is soft but not mushy. You should be able to see and bite into the dal.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan.
- Add 1 stick of cinnamon + 4 cloves, +1 bay leaf, + 2 red chilies (each broken into 2) + 1 tsp of Hing.
- Saute lightly.
- Add the cooked dal to the tempering and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow it to simmer for about 5-6 minutes and becomes thick.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee.
- Add 2 tbsp of fresh coconut pieces (cut up small) or 2 tbsp of freshly grated coconut. Reduce heat to low and saute continuously.
- Add 1 tbsp of golden raisins and continue to saute. The raisins will plump up.
- Add half the coconut and raisins to the dal and mix well.
- Before serving, garnish with the other half of the coconut and raisins and finely chopped cilantro.
- Pour hot Chholar Dal over steaming hot rice and enjoy!!