Vidalia onions, Green chilies, Dry vermicelli noodles, Mustard seeds, Urad dal, Chana dal, Curry leaves.
1. Finely chop 2 vidalia onions and green chilies (as per your tolerance of spice).
2. Place a big pot of water on the stove and when the water comes to a boil, add salt and a tbsp of oil.
3. Add 2 cups of vermicelli (I use Bambino vermicelli) to it and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes (do not overcook the vermicelli, it will lead to a really mushy upma!)
4. When done, drain the vermicelli in a colander and run a little bit of cold water over it and fluff it up with a fork.
5. Heat oil in a pan, 2 teaspoons of add mustard seeds, 2 teaspoons of urad dal, 1 teaspoon of chana dal, and fry till they turn light brown.
6. Add the onions and green chilies and saute them till they are soft and translucent, not fried and brown. 7. Add Curry leaves and the vermicelli.
8. Turn off the stove and mix them up together.
9. Serve piping hot with a spicy pickle.
Variations: I usually add chopped carrots/broccoli/edamame, etc to make it wholesome and healthier, but the above method is fairly traditional.