Seems like Idli season is on at my place….so here is the recipe for the ‘original’ Idlis…made out of parboiled rice and lentils!
Parboiled rice (Idli Rice), Whole white urad dal (gota urad), Fenugreek seeds (methi), Flattened rice (poha). Enjoy this for breakfast or lunch or dinner!!
- To a large bowl, add 3 cups of Idli Rice and a fistful of poha. Fill the bowl with water, cover and leave on the counter overnight.
- To another large bowl, add 1 cup of whole urad dal and 1 tsp of methi seeds. Fill the bowl with water, cover, and leave on the counter overnight.
- Next morning, drain off the water from the urad dal. Add it to the wet grinder (or the blender) and grind to a smooth fluffy batter with very little water. Take out the fluffy batter into an oversized bowl.
- Drain off the water from the idli rice-poha mixture and add to the wet grinder. Add very little water and grind to a smooth batter.
- Add this to the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste and with a large spoon, mix the batter to combine the two together in a folding motion.
- Place a big plate under the bowl, cover and leave it out on the counter overnight to ferment.
- The batter will rise and you will see bubbles formed on top. Use a long spoon to mix well.
- Grease the idli plates with a little oil, pour spoon fulls of batter and steam for 10-12 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooked, the idlis will just slide out of the idli pan if you have greased it well. Serve piping hot with sambaar, coconut chutney or tomato chutney (thakkali thokku) or any other accompaniment of your choice!