Original Recipe Courtesy: Naresh Khattar
Red lentils with skin (whole masoor dal), Buttermilk, Chick pea flour (besan), Turmeric powder, Mustard seeds, Fenugreek (methi) seeds, Dried red chilies.
1. Cook ½ cup of whole masoor dal on the stove top (with 2 cups of water) or pressure cook till it is firm, but not mushy. Drain off the water, but do not discard it.
2. To a big mixing bowl, add 1.5 cups of buttermilk, ½ cup of the water in which the dal cooked, 4 tablespoons of besan and 2 teaspoons of turmeric. Whisk this vigorously till there are no lumps.
3. Add half of the cooked masoor dal to the buttermilk-besan mixture.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add 2 teaspoons each of mustard and methi seeds and 3 red chilies broken into halves, saute lightly.
5. Add the buttermilk-besan-masoor dal mixture and reduce heat. Slowly add it to the pan and keep whisking till everything is mixed well (add a little more water if necessary to avoid lumps).
6. Allow the kadhi to cook, add the remainder of the masoor dal and mix well.
7. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and pour on hot rice!