A LIGHT REFRESHING SALAD
Yellow Moong (Mung) dal, Carrots, Cucumbers, Raw Green Mango, Fresh Lemon Juice, Mustard seeds.
1. Soak 1 cup of yellow moong dal in warm water for 2 hours. Then drain off all the water and add to a big salad bowl.
2. Grate 1 whole English cucumber, squeeze out the liquid and add to the dal.
3. Peel and grate 2 medium sized carrots and add to the dal.
4. Finely dice 1 whole raw green mango and add to the dal.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Add the juice of 2 big lemons.
7. Heat ½ teaspoon of oil, add 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds, add this tempering to the other ingredients and mix well.
8. Refrigerate and serve cold.
Note: Grated fresh coconut is also added to this traditionally. I did not add it this time around.