Berries, magical berries!! These are so versatile and are so forgiving and take on all the flavors that one tries to push on to them. Here is a way to showcase these luscious blackberry gems …..Enjoy!
Blackberries, Punjabi Vadis, Pistachios, Long-grained basmati rice, Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Bay leaves, Red chili flakes, Fennel powder, Garam masala powder, Ghee.
- Place 4 big Punjabi Vadis in a bowl and add boiling water and cover and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain off the water, and squeeze the water out of the vadis. Crumble them slightly and keep aside.
- Roughly chop 1/2 cup of pistachios
- Wash one cup of long-grained basmati rice and drain off all the water.
- In a large flat bottomed skillet, heat 2 tsps of ghee.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 3 tsps of fennel seeds, 3 bay leaves and saute on a low flame.
- Add 1 tsp of red chili flakes, 2 tsp of fennel powder and saute lightly.
- Add the washed rice and add 1/2 tsp more of ghee and saute the rice along with the spices well.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cover with rice and cook for 6 minutes.
- Uncover and add the vadis to the rice and replace the lid and cook for another 7 minutes.
- At this point, the rice will be almost cooked. Uncover the rice and dot the rice with blackberries all over.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on the rice.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of garam masala on the pulao.
- Recover and cook for another 6-7 minutes or till the rice is fully cooked and the blackberries are slightly soft and impart a purplish hue to the pulao.
- Serve piping hot with a side of boondi raita and a crisp salad!
Notes to the chef:
You can very easily make this vegan by replacing the ghee with oil. Tastes just as good!