For Maddur Vade: Fine rava (semolina), All-purpose flour, Rice flour, Onion, Sesame seeds, Peanuts, Grated coconut, Green chillies, Oil for frying.
For Green apple relish: Sesame oil, Mustard seeds, Firm green apples, Turmeric, Spicy red chilli powder, jaggery (or molasses), Asafoetida, Fenugreek powder, mustard powder.
Recipe for Maddur Vade:
1. Roast 3 tbsps of peanuts and grind them coarsely.
2. Mix 1 cup of semolina + ¾ cup of Rice flour + ¼ cup of all-purpose flour in a big bowl.
3. Add also: 1 finely chopped medium onion, 4 chopped green chillies, finely chopped cilantro, 1 tbsp of grated fresh coconut, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of white sesame seeds, the ground peanuts, salt to taste and a big pinch of asafetida.
4. Mix all the ingredients together and add 2 tbsps of melted butter.
5. Add a few spoons of water and bring the mixture together and form soft dough. Do not add too much water; keep sprinkling water as you need.
6. Make small balls of the dough and flatten each them with the palm of your hand on a large sheet of parchment paper.
7. Deep fry them till they are golden brown.
8. Place them on a paper towel to drain off excess oil and then store in air-tight containers.
9. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe for Spicy Green Apple Relish:
1. Peel and grate 4 medium-sized green apples.
2. Squeeze out all the water from the apples.
3. Heat ½ cup of sesame oil in a large flat bottom pan.
4. When the oil is hot, drop 2 tbsps of mustard seeds into it and when they splutter, add the grated apples to it.
5. Keep sauteing the apples on reduced heat.
6. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder (as much heat as you can take), and a pinch of asafetida.
7. When the apples are almost cooked, add a 2 inch piece of jaggery or 2 tbsps of molasses to the mixture and mix well.
8. Also add 1 tsp each of fenugreek (methi seeds) powder and mustard powder. Mix well.
9. Cool completely and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.