COCONUT RICE….but with a healthy twist!!
Quinoa, Freshly grated coconut, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, whole dry red chilies, Lebanese dried sour cherries, black pumpkin seeds, curry leaves.
1. In a large bowl, add one cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water and some salt to taste.
2. Microwave for 15 minutes (more or less depending on your microwave) till the quinoa has soaked in all the water and cooked through. Leave it to rest for 10 minutes and fluff it up with a fork. Keep aside.
3. Heat some oil in a large work. Add 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds and when they start to splutter, add 2 tablespoons of urad dal and 1 tablespoon of chana dal and 3 red chilies roughly broken. Saute lightly.
4. Add ¾ cup of freshly grated coconut to the above mixture and mix well on low heat.
5. Add a handful of Lebanese dried sour cherries and black pumpkin seeds.
6. Tear a few curry leaves into the blend, turn off the heat and mix everything well.
7. Add the cooked quinoa to the coconut mixture and mix gently with a flat spoon.
8. Serve with a chilled raita of onions+tomatoes+greek yogurt!
Note: Traditionally this is made with cashew-nuts and possibly some peas. I decided to use cherries and pumpkin seeds for different flavors and textures 🙂