Baby karelas (bitter gourd), Ripe Strawberries, Potatoes, Red chili powder, Garam Masala, Coriander-Cumin powder, Ginger powder, Dry Mango powder (Aamchur), Kalonji (Nigella seeds), Green Chutney (Coriander-Mint-Green Chili chutney), Sweet-sour Date-Tamarind chutney.
1. Take 2 baby karelas and slit them length-wise and scoop out the insides. Keep them aside.
2. Boil, peel and mash one big potato.
3. Chop 1 medium onion finely.
4. Puree a few strawberries and chop about 6 strawberries fine.
5. In a big bowl, mix the potato, onion, strawberry puree & strawberry pieces.
6. Add salt, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander-cumin powder, pinch of ginger powder and a pinch of dry mango powder (aamchur).
7. Stuff this mixture into the baby karelas.
8. Heat some oil in a flat bottomed pan and gently place the karelas in the hot oil. Reduce the heat and shallow fry them, but do not cover them.
9. When they are almost done, turn off the heat and allow them to cook in the hot pan.
10. When done, lift them up gently with a flat spatula and place them on a platter.
11. Drain off the excess oil from the pan, leaving only a teaspoon behind and heat it. Add a teaspoon of kalonji (nigella seeds) and allow to splutter and turn of the heat.
12. Drizzle the kalonji with the oil on the karelas.
13.Finally, drizzle the green and sweet-sour date and tamarind chutneys* over the karelas.
14. When ready to serve, garnish with chopped strawberries.
15. Serve hot with rotis and dal!
*Ready made chutneys work pretty well for this recipe if you do not have the time to make them from scratch.