Recipe courtesy: Neel Dhar
Baby potatoes, Oil for frying, Spice mix (Red chili powder+Fennel powder+Ginger powder+Garam Masala+Dhania-Jeera powder+Aamchur), Kali Jeera.
1. Heat a big pot of water. When the water starts to boil, drop 25 baby potatoes into the water and allow to cook till it is soft but firm. Drain the water, cool and peel the potatoes.
2. Use a toothpick to prick the potatoes all over carefully but not break them.
3. In a wok add a little bit of oil and shallow fry the potatoes till they are light brown all over. Take them out on a paper towel, allow to rest.
4. Add some more oil in the wok and when hot, add the potatoes back and fry till they are golden brown on low-medium heat. Take the potatoes out on a paper towel.
5. In a small bowl, add 1 tbsps of red chili powder+ 1 tsp of Kashmiri red chili powder+2 tbsps of fennel powder+1tsp of ginger powder+1 tsp of dhania-jeera powder+¾ tbsp of Garam Masala+¼ tsp of Aamchur. Mix well.
6. To the oil in the wok, add 1 tbsp of Kali jeera. Reduce the heat to low. When it splutters, add the spice mix and fry for a few seconds.
7. Add the fried potatoes and mix well. Add salt to taste.
8. Add 2.5 cups of water (or till the potatoes are submerged) and cover the wok. Increase the heat to medium. When the water starts to boil, uncover and allow to cook till the sauce thickens and come to a dropping consistency.
9. Turn off the heat, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
10. Serve piping hot with phulkas/parathas/theplas/rice/pulao!