Ripe tomatoes, Paneer, Green peas, Garam masala, turmeric, red chili powder, Coriander-Cumin powder.
1. Add 6 big ripe tomatoes to a pan and add just enough water to cover the tomatoes. Boil this for about 10 minutes. The tomato skins will start to split. With a slotted spoon pick out the tomatoes, peel off the skin and blend the tomatoes (I like my sauce a little bit chunky). Save the liquid.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, add 2 teaspoons of canola oil (or any cooking oil of your choice) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
3. When they begin to splutter, add 3 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of garam masala, 2 tablespoons of coriander-cumin powder, a pinch of turmeric and sauté well till the spices are well blended together (do this on medium heat and take care and not burn the spices).
4. Add the tomatoes and partially cover and let the mixture cook down till the spices and the tomato puree are blended well together.
5. Cut the paneer into ½” cubes, add to the mixture.
6. And add ¾ cup of thawed frozen peas.
7. Add ½ cup of the liquid that the tomatoes were stewed in to bring it to the desired consistency.
8. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve hot with grilled naans (or any kind of Indian bread).