Recipe courtesy: Kamala Natarajan
Firm green granny smith apples, Extra hot red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Asafoetida, Mustard powder, Fenugreek Powder, Jaggery/Molasses.
1. Peel and grate granny smith apples.
2. Place the grated apples in a large colander and sprinkle some lemon juice and a bit of salt, and allow it to sit for half hour.
3. Squeeze out all the water and lay it out on a paper towel.
4. In a large pan, heat half a cup of sesame seed oil/any other oil of your choice.
5. Add mustard seeds and when they start to splutter, add the grated apples, mix, and cover partially.
6. After a couple of minutes, add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and mix them all together. Now take off the lid and cook down the apples on medium heat. Keep stirring in between to make sure that it does not stick to the bottom.
7. Add some jaggery as well to the above.
8. When it is almost done, add freshly ground mustard seed powder and methi powder. Mix well and allow to cook for just a few minutes and turn off the heat.
9. Allow it to cool completely and then bottle it and refrigerate. It can last for 3-4 months easily.