Dosas: Basmati rice, Whole Urad dal, Raagi flour.
Masala: Potatoes, yellow onions and green chillies.
Onion Chutney: Red onions, Red chillies, Tamarind, Broken Urad dal, Asafoetida (Hing).
Recipe for Dosas
1. Soak 4 cups of basmati rice and 1 cup of whole urad dal overnight in a generous amount of lukewarm water.
2. Next morning, drain off excess water and blend it together with salt till it is a very smooth, dropping consistency.
3. Cover and leave it out to ferment till it rises. Mix well and store in the refrigerator.
4. Mix 1 cup of the dosa batter with 1.5 cups of Raagi flour and add some warm water while whisking vigorously.
5. Grease a flat non-stick skillet and make baby dosas taking care to ensure that they do not turn very crisp.
6. Make a stack of these and keep them ready for assembly.
Recipe for Masala/filling
1. Chop 1 big yellow onion and 2 green chillies.
2. Boil and peel 3 Idaho potatoes, mash with a fork, keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, 1 tsp each of mustard seeds, urad seeds and fry till the dal gets light brown.
4. Add the onions and green chilies and saute till it gets transluscent.
5. Add a pinch of turmeric and salt and mashed potatoes.
6. Turn off the heat and add a few curry leaves and chopped cilantro.
7. Cool the mixture and add 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice.
Recipe for Onion Chutney
1. Slice 4 big red onions.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add 4 tbsps of broken urad dal and ½ spoon of asafetida and saute till the dal turns light brown.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add 15 red chillies (I like mine really spicy!) and fry all of them together and then add the sliced onions. Sorte till the onions turn soft, but not charred.
4. In a blender,add the red chillies, salt, fried onions and 3 tbsps of tamarind paste, and 1 tsp of sugar. Add very little water.
5. Blend till it is almost done, then add the fried urad dal/asafetida mixture and blend till the whole thing comes together.
1. Place a bowl of the chutney in the center of a platter.
2. Place one spoon of the masala in the middle of each dosa, roll up and place seam side down around the chutney and serve when dosas are warm!