Quinoa, Artichoke hearts (canned), Roma beans (canned), Curry leaves, Urad dal, Black peppercorns.
1. In a pan, heat a ½ teaspoon of oil and add 3 tablespoons of broken urad dal, 3 red chilies (more if you want it spicy), asafoetida, and a few black peppercorns.
2. Roast them till the dal turns light brown and then add a big handful of curry leaves. Turn the heat to medium-low and keep sauteing till the curry leaves becomes crisp.
3. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool off and blend it in a spice grinder to a coarse powder.
4. Take 1 cup of quinoa, add 2 cups of water in a large bowl, mix well and microwave for 17 minutes and when done, fluff it up with a fork and allow it to cool for a bit.
5. Drain a can of artichokes, cut them up into slices and spread them out on a baking sheet and spray some oil on them and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes till they turn brown and crisp.
6. Slice 1 big red onion.
7. Drain and rinse a can of roma beans.
8. Heat oil in a big flat pan, add a tablespoon each of mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and broken red chillies, saute them till the dals turn golden brown.
9. Add the sliced onions and mix well, do not allow them to brown, just softened and turning a little crisp.
10. Add the spice mix, salt, turmeric and mix well and allow to cook for a bit.
11. Add the cooked quinoa to this mixture and turn off the heat.
12. Add the Roma beans finally and carefully mix and ensure that they don’t break.
13. Tear up some fresh curry leaves for flavor and garnish and mix well into the quinoa salad.
14. Serve warm with plain yogurt or any kind of ‘raita’.