KADHI WITH A PRETTY TWIST!
Fresh Pomegranates, Dry Pomegranate seeds, Fennel seeds, Cumin seeds, Buttermilk, Chickpea flour (besan), Garam Masala.
1. Take 2 whole fresh pomegranates and cut it in half. Hold one half in one hand seed-side down over a large bowl and give it a few taps with a heavy metal or wooden spoon. The seeds will fall into the bowl along with some juice. Repeat for the other halves.
2. Reserve half a cup for garnish and blend the rest with a little bit of water. Strain through a fine sieve.
3. To a large bowl, add 1.5 cups of buttermilk, 1 cup of water and mix well. Add 4 heaped tablespoons of besan and whisk well till all lumps are eliminated. Add the pomegranate juice, salt to taste and keep aside for half hour.
4. Toast 2 tablespoons of dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) in a skillet and grind it to a coarse powder.
5. Heat a little oil in a pan, add 1 teaspoon each of fennel seeds and cumin seeds, saute a little and add 1 teaspoon of garam masala and the ground anardana powder.
6. Add the buttermilk-pomegranate juice mixture to the pan and keep stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. If the mixture starts to thicken too much, add some water. The kadhi should be of pouring consistency.
7. Before serving, garnish with the reserved fresh pomegranate seeds and finely chopped cilantro leaves.
8. Pour over steaming rice and enjoy!!